Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Boyce's Favorite Album Cover and My Dad

Boyce asked if I would post an image of his favorite album cover of all time. This means that Boyce listens to this album a lot, though he's not particularly fond of the album. If you ask him
about it he won't even mention the album, but instead just tell you how much Led Zeppelin could destroy the earth if they wanted to. However, Boyce cares more about the art of albums than the music inside, so Glen Phillips' "Winter Pays for the Summer" still gets more attention in his home. It's a painting of two ravens (not crows. Notice the larger bills, stouter necks, and longer tail feathers.) eating from pomegranates. One of the ravens is holding up a pomegranate seed while the other raven looks at him. Sammy said that since pomegranates get used by a whole bunch of religions to represent heaven and ravens are picking at them, the sky is bleak, and the tree's leaves are dying it's a terribly pessimistic painting. He thinks maybe the ravens aren't so much feeding themselves as they are casting lots to see who gets what of the pomegranates. He also thought the first raven stole the seed from the second, and the way the two birds are placed on opposite sides of the pomegranates suggests conflict. Boyce said birds are stupid because there are about five thousand seeds in a pomegranate and all they need to do is just pick one and eat all they want. Either way, we all agree it's a great album cover. And that Zeppelin is like a meteor that could blow up Russia any time it felt like.

One reason I really like the album cover is because it reminds me of the ranches my father would take me to when I was a kid. We would take long drives out to different cattle ranches and we'd get out of the car and just stare at the land. I'd look at the birds while my dad said things like "It's not coming back." There were bunches of crows out there in the trees, and when I asked my dad if he saw the blackbirds, he said those were crows. Not blackbirds, not ravens, he said, crows. He said some crows don't mate so they can help other crows raise their young. Then he'd say he was tired. We'd get in the car and I'd cry about getting fast food and then he'd take me, and I'd spill my pop or throw french fries in his face.

He was a lot older than my mom, and he died when I was just a kid. One of the first times I ever spoke to Rachel I told her about my dad taking me to the ranches, and she said he must have been a really gentle person. Then I said, "I think it's creepy when kids sing religious songs in perfect unison," because I had thought about that earlier in the day and I was so nervous I just blurted out the first thing I could think of.