Thursday, October 15, 2009

A Marker for Hank

This morning I sent the following email to a headstone company.  I will let you know any details when I receive an answer.
Dear Artisan Memorials,

I am hoping you can answer a few questions.  First, I see the bronze headstone is more expensive than the granite.  However, which is more likely to sink into the ground if the area around the headstone is moist and prone to puddling?  Second, I understand you cannot bury a body just anywhere.  But I assume it is not illegal to bury ashes anywhere.  So in a situation where a person was cremated, but then the subsequent owner of those ashes wanted to see the person buried, can you bury the ashes any place you like, since it's essentially burying dust and debris?  Third, if I can just bury the ashes anywhere, could I also put the headstone there as well?  I understand that if one doesn't own the land the rightful landowner could remove or destroy the headstone, though we can probably all admit that would be a jerk thing to do.

Thank you.

Cyrus Wetherbee