Monday, March 1, 2010

Boyce Jr.'s Birthday

February 28th was Boyce Jr.’s birthday, so Sammy and I spent Sunday over at the Lancaster house.  Boyce Jr. had some kids over there for a little party, so Sammy and I spent most of the time learning their names:
1.    Weird kid too into superheroes
2.    Weird kid too into cats
3.    Weird kid with no definable weirdness but still weird
4.    Big haircut kid
5.    Kid with the big mole on the back of his neck
6.    Girl
At parties like this for his son Boyce generally steps in as the master of ceremonies.  Charlotte likes to stay behind the scenes and bake the kids something, or make sloppy joes.  She’s always making sloppy joes at these parties.  For a couple years Rachel came to the parties, and she and Charlotte made sloppy joes together.  Charlotte is good, so after the party she wouldn't ever say anything to me.  She'd put her hand on top of mine and put her forehead on my shoulder.

As the pattern generally goes, Boyce starts out as the master of ceremonies, but rather than having the kids play games he generally spreads out games on the floor and says, "There.  Don't lose any of the Risk pieces."  That's when Sammy steps in and plays something with them and Boyce locks himself in the bathroom.

Boyce Jr. is nine now, or in other words finally old enough to own his own copy of Winged Migration.  I also put a little to the Boyce Jr. Guitar Fund which Sammy and I contribute to every Christmas and birthday.  I’m not sure what Sammy got him because while Boyce Jr. opened it I was engrossed in how kid #4 ate a sloppy joe. 

I don’t ever want to see something like that again.