Monday, August 24, 2009

Bart, No!

You may remember that in my first post on this blog I mentioned what a huge Packer fan I am.  Now, I'll be the first to admit I haven't been a lifelong Packer fan.  As you may expect, Rachel's influence had something to do with it.  She liked the Packers because she said the town owns the team rather than some rich family.  Also, she liked the fact that the team name was from a company in the canned meat field.  Whenever someone argues that the Packers are inferior to another sporting team, I always explain these two points of Rachel's.  Maybe if there were some teams named after birds I would be more willing to root for them, but until that happens, call me Vince Lombardozzi!

Well, I've just been informed that the Packers' beloved quarterback, Bart Farv (picture at right), has been traded to our archrivals, The Minnesota.  If I were still speaking with Rachel, she would see me spitting nails over this.  Of course, the question will be whether I root for Bart Farv when he plays against the Packers.  Rachel--if you could only hear me!--I'll always be a Packers fan.  Even though Green Bay has really done nothing to me and is marginally betraying me through its negligence, I will always have loyalty even at the expense of my own well-being.  If I had a football and a son I'd go out in the yard and tell him, "Go deep!"  Instead, I'm just throwing aluminum cans at my basement wall.  But you better believe I hit that wall every time!

I've asked Sammy and Boyce if maybe they'd like to make a road trip to Green Bay to see a game.  Boyce said he'd love to, and is going to do everything he can to get us tickets for when Minnesota and Favr come to Green Bay.  He said it would cost a lot of money, money that he certainly doesn't have, but he said it would be worth hearing me ask other Packer fans what they felt about Bart getting traded.

My dad and I never got a chance to go to football games.  My dad was best at staring and talking to things that can't talk back to him, like cars parked in two spaces or the rain or a dead bird on the side of the road that he always joked was "his only friend in the world."  Dad was a dreamer, all right.  At dad's funeral mom told me he finally got the only dream he ever had.  She let me come live with her since she was going blind anyway.  Besides, she said, my uncle would need someone to get high with.

Go Packers!