Friday, November 13, 2009

Spencer is Still Nuts, and a Dream

Charlotte has brought to my attention that my previous post against Jon Spencer may be incorrect.  When Jon Spencer wrote "Sybil," he may have been referring to a 1976 made-for-tv movie by the same name, about a woman with multiple personalities.  If this is the case, do I owe Mr. Spencer an apology?  I would sooner die.  The fact that he trumps a 33 year old movie that never appeared in theaters over classic mythology is perhaps worse than mistaking who the sibyl is in the first place.  By the beard of Zeus, Mr. Spencer, you are out of order!

When I was a child my father told me a lot of old myths before I went to bed.  He'd sit down in a rocking chair and tell me how Apollo wept after accidentally killing Hyacinthus, how Dryope accidentally plucks the Lotus and is cruelly turned into a tree despite her pleading, or how Orpheus was so sad his head sang when he was decapitated by crazed women.  Sammy says this should mean that I like to read, but I said, No, it only makes me want to rock in a chair.

***

Rather than interpreting someone else's dream, I thought it would be enjoyable to post one of my own dreams to let people interpret.  Who knows, maybe there is a shy reader out there who wants to take a stab at my brain (note: jokes about mad cow disease will not be tolerated).  Here's the dream:

I was in a hotel skyscraper with Boyce and Sammy.  A giant ufo flew over top of the city and parked itself above the tallest buildings, as seems to be the polite thing to do according to movies and television shows.  Well, we all knew this wasn't a good thing.  That's when we saw the aliens descend from this mothership, except they descended in hot air balloons that were shaped like silhouettes of people's faces.  All the balloon-faces had rather large noses.  Their method of descent was particularly bothersome to me, and I ran around the room trying to figure out how we might lock ourselves in the room while the coming slaughter ensued.

Have a crack at Cyrus, and email me your interpretations!